Wednesday, September 30, 2026

Slow Stitching - wool trivet with a die cut flower and leaf

Another 8" wool trivet!!  This one has a green wool which was not heavily felted and therefore light weight.  I did add another layer below it to ensure enough protection when the trivet was in use.  I hand stitched the flower's center (cotton) with little stab stitches and yellow embroidery thread to secure the cotton to the flower and then used stab stitches using red thread to secure the flower to the dark green wool layers.  I stitched a gray maple leaf  die cut to the felted black square using stab stitches with coordinating embroidery thread.  I round the corners and whip stitched the outside edge using green embroidery thread.  I had planned to add anther row to create a bit of a cross pattern but made so many errors that I removed the stitches and added tiny stitches about 3/4" from the outside edge that did not penetrate to the other side instead which worked quite well.  I added a cotton cording hanger - in and out with a knot on the other side.  I will allow this trivet to be hung as art when I is not engaged for its other purpose of protecting a surface from a casserole or tea pot. I would work just as well under a vase, candle or sculpture.  Therese




 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments