Friday, May 14, 2021

Birthday card with a handmade paper background, a little stitched sail boat on a wavy sea

I committed to getting this card out a while back and it did not make it to my daytimer and I just remembered today for a tomorrow birthday!!  Hence, the belated that I added by hand!!  I was on a roll with stitching fabric to handmade paper and thought I would try a different subject matter.  I did a bit of research for sail boat quilts which led me to this pattern which was easy enough to trim the pieces by hand.  I found blue tulle and rick rack which simulated water quite nicely.  I cut the boat from brown and the sails from blue and red fabrics.  I stitched the tulle first, then my boat and then I added the rick rack.  I like that you can see the boat below the rick rack - like it is just behind a wave.  I used blue thread to stitch the sails in place and then dark brown to stitch the mast in between.  I used the end of a pencil to add the dark brown ball on the end because with just the stitching it looked a little lost.  I ran my pattern tracing wheel on top and bottom of my greeting and then stitched both sides in brown over my boat.  The tulle worked out really well and it was fun to try something new with this technique.  It will be off in tomorrow's mail and hopefully won't be more than a few days late.  Therese
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments