Monday, July 01, 2024

Sewing - potholders with raw edge applique - chickens, stars, mushrooms, leaves and butterflies


I made up some potholders to add to the merchandise for our next Gramma Link Africa event in the fall.  These were the neck cut outs from the shirt savers Diane and I made last year.  They worked out quite well.  I simply added two layers of flannel in between and loops for hanging.  I stitched all the way around leaving an opening for turning  them inside out.  I hand stitched the opening closed and them top stitched the outside edge with a 1/4" seam.  I have been wanting to make raw edge applique for a while and decided to give it a try with these potholders.  I used a red half circle to create a chicken adding a brown beak and a yellow wing.  I used coordinating thread for all the pieces and then black for the tail feathers and the legs.  I used a decorative stitch for around the edges of the pieces and straight stitch for the details.  It was fun and I will be doing it again!!  
 A primitive start in yellow for the blue and red checkerboard ones.  Mushrooms, leaves and butterflies in a light yellow cotton fabric for the three brown ones.  I used my Inktense watercolours to embellish my white cotton twill tape so it would coordinate.  Love being able to customize white fabric.  
Therese


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments