Sunday, September 29, 2024

Sewing - Potholders using scraps


 I have been working on making potholders and decided to make a set for Christmas gifts this year.  My Mom was the one who always made potholders for family Christmas gifts and since her passing I thought I should take up the tradition.  I have made a few sets but Christmas is coming fast and I am very far behind!! I made these with a couple sets of flying geese that I made up in a size that would be appropriate for making potholders.  I used coordinating cotton fabric scraps to finish them off.  I used a different manner of adding a hanger.  I used the same stitched length of folded fabric but applied it diagonally across the one corner instead of adding it to the binding process.  It allows the potholder to be hung but also provides a neat and clean surface that creates a nice trivet for the table as well.  I will need to see what sort of feedback I get to see whether it is a really good idea or not.  I store mine in a drawer next to the stove and so do several of the other members of my family.  
So I stitched the flying geese with cotton scraps and used the balance of the fabrics to create the tops of the potholders.  I cut three pieces of flannel as the batting, added the front and then stitched on the hanging tab.  Next, I added a larger backing (1" to each side) which I folded in half and then onto the front and stitched it down all the way around.  I did some top stitching after I was finished to keep all the layers in place as these get washed quite often.  One for set for the Christmas stash. Therese

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments