Tuesday, March 12, 2024

Sewing - tote with cute cat fabric with a cute fabric embellishment

I was into my stash a few weeks ago looking for something and rediscovered this fun cat fabric - cats on the ocean waves with large fish and surf boards!!!!!!!!  The fabric is printed in Japan and I really liked the design.  I decided to make up a tote bag with some of it!!  I worked out the layers for this bag - navy blue for the top and bottom and cat fabric in between.  I used some of my fun aqua floral fabric for the inside - a light fabric helps you see what is inside.  I trimmed the inside fabric and laid out the fabrics and sewed them into place one at a time QAYG fashion.  I was careful to keep everything well aligned and it worked out well.  I added wavy lines to quilt the outer fabric to the lining.  I made up  handles and inserted them at the top between the navy and lining fabric.  I sewed them to the lining and then folded over both fabrics and stitched them together from the outside.   To finish off the bag neatly I used a technique where you lay the wrong sides together and sew a small seam.  Then you flip the wrong sides out and stitch again using a wider seams which incorporates the previous seam allowance inside the seam.  Makes for a neat finish inside the bag.  I boxed the bottom corners at 3" which gives the bag some structure without too much width.  It would be perfect as a library book bag or general tote for the car when you are just buying a few things.  It worked out really well!!!  NOTE:  I have added a little red 3D fabric embellishment to my bag and you can check it out here.  Therese


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments