Sunday, April 28, 2024

Sewing - picnic placemat with a zipper pocket in rust, brown and ivory

Another picnic placemat made with precut squares from my stash.  I acquired these precut so quite a few  had to be trimmed to be square and therefore lost their ability to be the same size which changed the proportions of my pieces in relation to each other but that worked fine in that all the seams did not line up which in this heavier fabric can make for fairly bumpy seams.  I had to add some fabric on the right to make the pocket large enough.  The colours worked well but the background could have been more interesting.  I did audition quite a few and this was the one that worked the best.  I sewed this one all around with the two good sided facing and included the tie in that seam.  I was going to leave a opening for turning over but realized that if I left the zipper open a bit that would work just as well.  Worked really well.  I stitched left of the zipper to create the pocket and then continued all the way around and did top stitching on the perimeter.  I added several other rows of stitching to quilt the remainder of the placemat.  I am upcycling zippers for these and am finding that the little ending pieces really help to incorporate the zipper in the total design.   Therese

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments