Saturday, April 27, 2024

Sewing - picnic placement with a zippered pouch featuring a flying geese pattern


Picnic placemats are perfect for those times when you have decided to eat at the park and find the table is in less than ideal condition.  Everyone can just roll out their placemat and has a clean surface to eat on.  This placemat also features a zippered pocket which can hold utensils and a napkin allowing the kids to set the table without fear of the utensils ending up on the ground.   After eating the utensils can be wrapped in the napkin (paper or cloth) and stowed away in the pouch until they get home and can be washed.  The tie keeps the rolled mat tidy on the way there and back and takes little room to store in between.  Made of heavyweight fabric which is washable also allows for quick clean ups.  Having a few on hand means you are ready to go as soon as the food is packed!!  Quick and easy!!  

I made up the front of the placemat using precut squares from my stash.  I incorporated four flying geese into the design.  I added the little green ends to the tie so you will always know which placemat it is without having to untie it so everyone can easily find their favorite.  I incorporated the zipper easily by adding tabs on each end.  I cut the backing about 3/4" bigger on all sides than the front, laid the front over it and stitched the two together on the left hand side of the zipper which creates the pocket.  I added a few more lines of stitching to the left to quilt the two piece to each other.  I then folded over the backing to the front and stitched it.  I added the tie to the back in the seam on the left hand side.   I am looking forward to making some unique picnic placemat for our merchandise table at our Gramma Link Africa events and for prizes at our summer family reunion.    Therese



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments