Friday, October 11, 2024

Sewing - fabric basket to hold cards for a fundraising event


I committed to making a prize for our October fundraising event.  It is a fabric basket which you can see below holds a variety of handmade cards.  I made up 10 watercoloured ornament Christmas cards and added 14 all occasion cards.  I packaged them same as I did last time - folded cellophane pockets kept together with a strip of lettered tape which looks like a book.  Works really well!!  They stand on their own and can be laid flat which allows visual access to all the cards without actually touching them.  Great for storing them until you need them as well.  

I cut the outer fabric and then the lining (11" x 8") and then cut out the corners (2.5").  I stitched the fronts to the linings and then added some polyester batting to the outer.  To stitch the basket together you place the two pieces over each other and stitch the ends and the sides.  You need to leave an opening on the lining end to be able to turn it inside out  I forgot so unstitched a bit of my seam.  I had never made boxed corners like this before.  Works well!!  Once turned inside out I added four rows of top stitching to firm up the top portion of the basket.  The batting was a little fluffy but for my first try I think it worked out well enough.  I perfectly holds the three packages of cards I put together.   I see that I have made an error in the number of cards - it is a total of 24 cards  - not 30!!  I will have to print another one with the right numbers and my prize will be ready to go!!!   Therese


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments