Sunday, June 06, 2021

Christmas cards using green fabric ribbon/snippet roll on a tag with a gold star and fun backgrounds

These are the cards I created with my fabric ribbon/snippet roll/garland which I made earlier this week.  

I created these tags on which I stitched my little green trees using my green fabric ribbon/snippet roll.  I die cut them from a greenish kraft cardstock using a large crescent tag die (Ellison).  I embossed them with the Scripty (SU) 3D embossing folder and then highlighted the text and the edges in dark green ink.  I cut some brown fabric into small rectangles so I could use them for the trunks of my trees.  I started by trimming my first piece of fabric ribbon about the width of the tag and then two more just a little less wide so when stacked they made a tree shape.  I used dark green thread in my sewing machine and straight stitch.  I positioned my trunk in the middle of the bottom of my tag and laid the widest strip across the bottom and stitched it in place catching the trunk in the line of stitching.  I turned the corner and then positioned the other two overlapping each other so that there was enough room for a star at the top and stitch up that side.  I turned at the apex and stitched down the other side and met up with the beginning of my first line of stitching.  I like how the dark stitching defines the tree shape and the little snippets give it texture and interest all the way around too.  Totally great!!  I stitched all of my tags and then added red sequins using hand stitching to simulate ornaments on the tree.  For a more natural and less festive look I could have used little birds.   Next, I created the stars.  I used Ferraro Rocher gold foil glued to scrap cardstock as my decorative paper and die cut them with the smallest star on the large red Sizzix die.  I really like the rich colour of that gold foil.  I adhered my stars to the top of my trees using 3D foam tape.  Next, I trimmed out some green and red cards and then found this interesting decorative paper in one of my paper pads which was full of glittery candy canes which I was not sure what I would use it for.  In this case, with only small portions of the paper being visible it worked well.  It was a good colour and the bit of glitter contrasts well with the texture of the fabric bits.  I mounted my backgrounds to my card fronts and then adhered my tags directly to the backgrounds.  They are dimensional enough with all the fabric bits they did not need 3D foam tape as well.  I have made over a dozen of these so they will cover my May and June quota of Christmas cards for this year.  I am off to glue their inserts in and they are headed to my box with the rest of my stash of 2021 Christmas cards!!    Therese

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments