Sunday, June 06, 2021

Fabric ribbon/garland/snippet roll using fabric scraps in a fun way

I have been checking snippets rolls on line for a couple of years now hoping to at some time have the necessary inspiration to give it a go.  For my current set of Christmas cards I found inspiration in a little Christmas on a tag created my sewing strips of stitched fabric scraps to the tag using a triangle shape.  The little fabric pieces made me think of snippet rolls and so I got started.  I dug through my stash of green "other fabrics" and trimmed a small piece from everyone piece in the box and the cut each of them into smaller pieces with irregular shapes about 1" x 1.25 or so.  I used a 1.5" x  60" strip green polyester fabric with both sides folded to the center as my base.  I used a decorative stitch on my sewing machine which produces a wavy stitch line and then set the widest stitch width and the longest stitch length so that I had a very decent wavy pattern to stitch my "snippets" to my base. I used  dark green thread for both my top and bottom thread. I simply folded the first snippet in half and started stitching and kept adding folded snippets under the presser foot as I went keeping them well overlapped so I covered the base pretty much completely.  It was a very fun process and I simply picked up pieces from my little stack without too much thought.  I did not stitch two of the same next to each other.  I almost finished the full length of my base with what I had cut so to finish it off I cut up a few more snippet pieces. It was a fairly substantial decorative piece by the time I was done and it could easily have been used as a ribbon to wrap a gift or garland on a wreath, tree or banister.  


 So I was very impressed with the end product though it does not resemble very closely the snippet rolls I have found on line I think it would be very fun to make one of these up for home decorating.  I can certainly see a red and gold one for a Christmas tree, orange and purple for Halloween on a front door wreath, etc.  As a ribbon for wrapping gifts it would make an awesome statement with kraft paper gift wrap.  This one will be turned into Christmas cards which makes it very versatile!!  

Therese


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments