Saturday, September 28, 2024

Sewing - potholders backed with PEI dirt dyed fabric and scrappy log cabin quilt block on the front


 It is been a fun week of sewing!!  I have made up a few sets of potholders as souvenirs of our trip to PEI using the fabric I dyed with PEI dirt.  I dug through my fabric scraps and found some that coordinated with the dyed fabric and a few that coordinated with them before I got started. I did some internet research on log cabin quilt blocks to see if I could find some measurements so I could make them the size I needed for potholders.  I did find one place that had measurements that were close so I simply increased the size of the center square a bit (2") and then cut strips of 1.25" wide from two of the scraps I had picked out.  I just sewed the first strip to the center square, trimmed it square and then sewed the strip to the other side and trimmed it square again.  Just kept going around changing colours when needed until I had completed two full corners in the two different fabrics.  They ended up a bit bigger than I expected and I am not sure why but in the end it may have been that my seam allowances were a bit off.  I added three layers of flannel as batting, trimmed them square and then cut backings from my dyed fabric an inch bigger on each side.  I chose to add an unconventional hanger on these ones which makes them more versatile as they can also be used as trivets.  For the hanger I added a folded and stitched strip of fabric across a corner once I had the front pinned to the batting and stitched the ends to the sides so they would stay in place when I was sewing the folded to the front binding.  The binding process worked really well and they look neater without the hanger on the corner.  I added two quilting lines diagonally across the middle - one around the edges of each of the two halves of the potholders to keep all the layers together  
It was easier than I expected to make these quilt blocks so I went looking for a place which would give me instructions on a few more quilt blocks I could try.  I found Threadbare Creations which had a link under Quilting to Classic Quilt Blocks.  I looked them over and found a few I was willing to try.  
Therese




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments