Saturday, September 28, 2024

Sewing - potholders backed with PEI dirt dyed fabric featuring a pinwheel block made with small flying geese


 For this set of potholders I decided to make this pinwheel quilt block.  I knew how to make Flying Geese blocks so I dug out some red fabric to go with the lighter background which I had picked out and made some flying geese units using this No Waste Flying Geese tutorial .  I figured how to customize the size so I could make them the size I wanted my potholders (around 7.5").  I made up four sets (4 at a time) and then laid them out so they formed the pinwheel pattern.  I sewed two together to make the squares and then sewed the squares together to make the quilt blocks.  Again, I added three layers of flannel for the batting, stitched on the little hangers across the corners and then added the backing (extra 1"on all four sides) and bound them by folding the sides in a half inch then folding the remainder over onto the front and stitching it in place.  I added quilting lines inside the pinwheel flying geese to keep all the layers together.  I just realized that I could have made the flying geese in two different colours and that would have made the pinwheel stand out more!!  Next time!!  Therese

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments