AFTCM for the better part of a week now - off and on between cleaning up and sorting my stuff!!
I am so happy with how it worked out!!!!!!!!!!
I used heavy weight cardstock - the backs I ripped off of commercial cards before I refurbished them for donating. Check out the cards here and here.
the process I used for decorating both sides of these papers before I created the little houses. For the backs - the glossy ones have alcohol ink backgrounds and the matte ones have collage. All the fronts were decorated with a multiple step paper decorating process that used a handmade stamp, acrylic paint and plastic wrap. Fun!!
So there are little houses, big houses, skinny houses and everything in between. Even a few duplexes!!
It has been a super fun project. It can be used to count down to any occasion and left up year round should the recipient be so inclined!!
A wonderful little neighborhood!!
I have a few leftover card backs which I hope to use to make another little village. Maybe I will use different architectural guidelines for the next one!!! What fun!! They can stand on a shelf or mantle or maybe could be tied together to stand independantly.
Consider making yourself a fun little advent calendar that you can reuse every year to count down to Christmas and, if you make it fun enough, it will decorate your house or studio all year long!! A new tradition!!
Would love to see what you have created! Leave a comment and include a link!!
Tuesday, October 16, 2012
Are you asking yourself what I did with the card fronts?? You can see the cards I have refurbished and donated here and here.
So that took care of all the backs of these pieces of cardstock. Now, on to the fronts!!
I have taken digital photos of all of them so I can use them in my art later on!!
Decorating paper is so much fun!! I love the randomness of it all and it is fun passing the day just mucking with paint and paper. In this case, it is even better because I started with cardstock that was headed to the recycling bin!! Now, that is upcycling!!
Here is the project I was working on today - a Steam punk fat book page. I created this for a swap on AFTCM. I created a steam punk wind screen using items that I picked up on my walk the other day and a few add ons. What did I pick up?? The base - a clear plastic with holes in it and the rusty washer. I added the central piece (inside of a foam brush) from my desk, the little washers and the electronic bits were discovered during a raid of DH garage and the butterfly charm, the rhinestone and the copper piece are from my stash. I wired all of them into place using wire which I had pulled out from ribbon a while back. Thinking about it - most of these elements have been upcycled!! I ended up painting the back of the clear piece after I had started wiring elements into place so I used a variety of mediums until I got the look I needed. On hindsight, it would have been better to sand and paint it beforehand but it sort of evolved so I had to make it up as I went along. I really like the way it looks!! Once the windscreen was finished I started looking for a fall scene, a flying machine and a pilot. The pilot and the windmill I found at Graphics Fairy and the fall scene I downloaded off the internet. I love how it all came together. I had to add some details to the pilot and also created the outside of his flying machine. The back of the page has the fall scene with some verse I wrote about the colours and flying!! I added some coordinating fiber on the right hand side and my page was done!!
The colours of fall are so awesome here. I grew up in the west where fall colours go from green to yellow and if we were lucky brown but more often than not, we would get a hard frost in September and all the leaves would fall regardless of what colour they were!! Bare trees for Halloween and very often snow suits too!!
PS - If you have been waiting for more photos of my craft room - I have uploaded them into the original post - here!!