Friday, February 12, 2016


I created this "I AM - LOVE IS - YOU ARE" art canvas for a fundraiser happening in the next couple of weeks.  The word collage features a list of words which appropriately follow  "I am...".  "Love is..." and "You are..." and is a reminder of our commitment to the ones in our lives that we love!! 
I started this deep 8" x 10"canvas a while back by painting it with pink and purple acrylic paint in a very colourwashed way.  I used Modge Podge to layer on some single layer heart images from a paper napkin leaving them a bit wrinkly and textured.  It has been sitting for a few months and when this fundraiser came up I thought it would be perfect for doing an image transfer of this love collage!!  The word collage was created in Corel Draw using a wide variety fonts and a few heart images.  
From my past experience (see this canvas) the transfer works better with a smooth surface so I sanded the canvas to smooth out as many of the wrinkles as I could.  It worked quite well and I did not lose as much detail as I thought I might.  I laser printed the word collage mirrored onto white bond and used Modge Podge to adhere it the sanded canvas.  I applied the Modge Podge to the canvas with a foam brush and then carefully placed the trimmed down printed sheet over it making sure that the edges were even to ensure that the words would be straight across the canvas.  I gently rubbed the paper all over making sure its surface was in contact with the glue on the canvas everywhere.  I let it dry overnight to make sure the glue was completely dry.  To reveal the words I applied water to the paper and gently started rubbing it off once it was soaked through.  It is a bit of a process making sure that the paper is removed across the whole canvas and that the words are left behind. I did find some of the words had pieces missing because they were stuck to paper napkin that released from the canvas surface with the water.  I had not anticipated that situation but once the paper with the toner was gone there was not much that could be done. I let the canvas dry and used a fine tip Sharpie to fill in the missing parts of the letters.  It worked quite well though the ink was a bit more shiny than the toner.  That contrast disappeared after I applied the final coat of Modge Podge to seal the surface.  
I was not sure just what to do with the edges - they seemed too plain!  My sister suggested that I splatter them with black paint so I dug out my supplies  - black acrylic paint, a bit of water and my spattering tool.  I applied a little paint to the bristles, inserted the rod and turned the handle. It took a bit of practice for me to get the spatters where I wanted them but I did eventually coat all the sides and a bit of the front with spatters. Thankfully I had spread out papers to catch the off spray because there was paint everywhere!  I am very happy with how this art canvas worked out.  I added a hanger on the back so it is now ready to be dropped off!