Thursday, September 08, 2016
These fabric collage hearts were a bit bigger than the others I made so they did not work well for A2 sized cards which I what I usually make. So I dug into my envelope stash and found a couple envelopes that were just a bit larger and created my cards to fit in them.
For my first card, I created a white card which fit in the envelope I had chosen. I created a background by adhering a strip of green cardstock to a piece of blue cardstock, trimmed it to fit on my card front and embossed it with the Swiss Dot embossing folder. I had to put it through twice so I was careful the second time to position my top plate so it lined up with the last row of dots so the end of the folder would not crush what I had embossed the first time. Worked perfectly!! After auditioning my fabric collage heart I felt that the background needed a bit of something so I went digging in my lace stash and found this one that worked well. I cut off the length I needed, applied a very thin layer of glue on the embossed green strip and positioned the lace over it. I folded the ends to the back and adhered them with double sided tape. I added my heart and machine stitched it in place using coordinating thread. I added a handmade paper heart punchie which I tied on with pink embroidery thread. I added a layered greeting below my heart and glued this embellished layer to my white card front. After a bit I thought maybe the handmade paper heart needed a "bit of something" so I outlined it with dimensional pearl fabric paint and added a few dots as well. To keep the thread ends out of the paint while it dried I positioned the card upside down on a shelf and held it in place with a little weight. Perfect! The paint dried perfectly and the thread remained clean.
For my second card, I created a navy card to fit in my envelope then cut a yellow and green layer each a bit smaller than the other. I embossed the green one with a heart embossing folder, added my fabric collage heart and machine stitched it in place. I embellished it with a large brad which I coloured with a Sharpie marker to make it the right colour and then slipped four short pieces of soft tulle between the tangs on the back of the brad before inserting it in a hole which I made with awl so it would be big enough. Really like how that worked out!! I colourwashed a punched laser printed greeting with watercolour to coordinate, highlighted the edges with a black permanent marker and adhered it below the heart using 3D foam tape.
I am really liking these cards! They are artsy and unique!! You can check out the others I have made here and here.