CLKER. I created the digital files using Corel Draw but any layout or word processing software could be used for laying them out and then printed them on 8.5" x 11" white cardstock. I cut them into quarter sheets and then added colour!! These first three have been coloured using SU watercolour pencils. For the first one I applied the colour to a silicone craft sheet, spritzed it with water and placed my quarter sheet with the image facing down in the wet paint. Worked out perfectly! I wanted the words in the pink area. I did add a bit of watercolour with the crayons to certain areas - outside edges, some greenery and a few flowers and then spread the colour with a wet paintbrush.
For the two butterflies I applied the crayons to the areas I wanted a specific colour and then spread the paint with a wet paintbrush. I added the blue on the outside edges by colouring on my craft sheet with the crayon and then picking up the colour with a wet foam brush. It gives a bit of a different look. Really happy with how these turned out. The fun is that these can be painted any colour!! So, next time I print them out I can make cards that look different by choosing different colours and/or colouring mediums. FUN!!
There is one missing from this set - it was printed in gray and I was not happy with the result of that one so it has been added to the serendipity stash bin. I like the contrast of black with the colour much better and in some cases, it was beneficial to wipe them a bit after they are dry to remove any colour that remained on the laser printing. These buckled a bit with the amount of water I had applied so I let them dry and pressed them under weight to flatten them. You could dry them more quickly with a heat gun and then press them. To make the cards I trimmed the images to 4" x 5.25" and adhered them to a coordinating card front.
UPDATE: I have made a few more of these cards since this posting and have created a tutorial as well. You can find the other cards here and here. The tutorial is here or you can CLICK Tutorials above and scroll the the bottom of the list and click the link.
I challenge you to give it a try and let me know how it works out for you!! Leave me a comment with a link to your creations and I will go and check them out!!
Tuesday, September 06, 2016
A few more cards that I made with the fabric collages I created a while back. The collages were created by machine stitching together coordinating fabric scraps and then free hand cutting hearts from them.
For the first card, I adhered two kraft cardstock strips to a piece of embossed (Swiss Dots) navy cardstock. I added a layer of scallop edged kraft tulle (SU) adhering the ends to the back with double sided tape. I positioned my fabric collage heart and machine stitched it in place using coordinating thread. I added a scalloped heart punchie button which I tied on with kraft coloured embroidery thread knotted twice to keep the button in place. I colour washed a laser printed greeting and mounted it to this layer using two tiny black brads. This embellished layer was then adhered to a dark red card front to complete my card.
For my second card, I stitched my fabric collage heart to an ivory layer and added a paper button tied on with black thread. I used my stamping jig to stamp on the greeting (SU) in black in exactly the right place. I layered this onto navy cardstock and machine stitched them together using navy thread. This embellished layer was then adhered to a dark red card front.
You can check out the other cards I made with my fabric collage hearts here.