Thursday, November 12, 2015
On one of my groups I joined a Crazy Quilted ornament swap. We could send as many as five ornaments - I decided to do just one. I machine quilted a triangle using small scraps adding pieces one at a time around the green polka dot square. It was fun to add a variety of fabrics and colours. Once that process was finished I trimmed the edges evenly and started adding hand stitching to each seam using a variety of coloured floss and stitches. Next, I cut a triangle a half inch wider in every direction in a dark green fabric. I laid it on the back of my triangle and folded the edge over twice and stitched over it using blanket stitch in green floss. I had to iron it before I stitched because it was much too unruly otherwise. Then, I added embellishments - sequins, beads and buttons. It still needed a bit of something so I added a tiny rick rack garland which I stitched on with red floss. Lastly, I added a sequin star at the top. Oh, yes, I did add a rick rack hanger at the top in the process of doing the blanket stitch around the perimeter. I did add some random red stitches on the back to better adhere the back to the front and added a shrink plastic tag with my credits on it. This is my first crazy quilted project. I am happy with it how it turned out. I hope to learn more stitches and to add lace to my next project. Looking forward to receiving an ornament in exchange.