I started with a square of stamped fabric which I received in a swap a while back. I love the quote so I cut the fabric piece down to 4" x 4" for the front of my quiltie. I found and installed my free motion foot for my sewing machine. It was not working properly so I found a YOUTube video that gave me a visual of the process and a few hints on how to best proceed with free motion stitiching. Once reinstalled and the adjustments made it was working much better. I layered my square over a piece of batting and started stitching. You can see from the photo that my free motion skills are only in the beginner stages but I did manage to go around the petals on the flowers that were stamped on the fabric. I will keep practicing!!
I positioned a strip of fusible webbing (sold to fix a hem without sewing) on the edge of a coordinating solid, enclosed it in resist paper and ironed it. The fusible webbing very nicely adhered to the edge of the fabric. I trimmed away the piece with fusible webbing on it and I had created a length of fabric tape! I cut a four inch length and positioned it neatly on one side of my quiltie with half the tape on the quiltie and the other half hanging off.
To finish it off, I cut another two strips but made sure they were long enough to cover the strips I had already put in place, trimmed the corners into a point so that the corners would look mitered and adhered them in the same fashion as I had done the other two sides.
You can see how the binding looked in position before I ironed down the final edge to the back of my quiltie. It worked very well and created some very nice corners on my little quiltie. I decided to add a row of straight stitching very close to the inside edge and the outside edge of my binding to help secure it and to give the binding some texture and definition!! I am very happy with how well this technique worked and will certainly be using it again when I am making quilties!!
So my quiltie is ready to go and will be off to my partner this week!!