Sunday, April 23, 2017

A card from a kit with velllum and handmade paper

I made up this card from a card kit from my last class.  I love the handmade paper background for this card and used the colour scheme to colour the image using peach, pink, green and brown.  I coloured on the back of the vellum which mutes the colour slightly and protects it from being rubbed off.  I used an embossed label punchie as the mechanical means of attaching the vellum to the stitched handmade paper background.  I used double sided tape to attach the vellum and another piece to attach the whole thing to the background.  This whole element was adhered to the brown card front using a glue stick.
This one is off to a special person having a birthday very soon.


Collage backgrounds for two special cards

I created these backgrounds last week.  I started with some watercolour/plastic wrap pieces that I created a while ago and was motivated to add some clear embossing to them.  I chose a solid petals background stamp which I stamped in clear ink and embossed with clear embossing powder.  It was interesting how the paint was affected by the embossing - seems to have altered the colour below the embossed areas.  Next, I added some stamping - a script stamp in a coordinating colour and a little postage cancellation from the same set.  
I needed two special cards this week so I used them to create what I needed.  For the left hand card, I adhered the background to a red card front, added a fun polka dot ribbon across the front and added a layered round greeting when I tied a short piece to it to simulate a bow.  The little greeting started with a round tag (CB), next a 1 1/8" vellum circle and finally a round stamped greeting (SU).  I simply included the hanging cord in the single knot of the "bow".  The focal element is a laser printed digital image from Melonheadz of a cupcake with a star.  I watercoloured the image and then followed that up with shimmery paint for a very elegant finished piece.  Once dry, I layered it onto yellow card stock and mounted it over the ribbon using 3D foam tape.  
For my second card, I adhered the background to a green card front, added a gros grain ribbon gluing the ends to the inside and then mounted my focal element using 3D foam tape.  The fish image is one I got in a swap!  I coloured it with shimmery paints and watercolour.  I added the background just using my paint brush to add the details.  The image was layered onto brown before being mounted to my card.  I added a laser printed layered punchie greeting on the lower left.