Friday, April 17, 2015

Birthday card with a tissue paper layer

Another card I created last week and am posting today!!  The flower image is from Anji's Antics.  I laser printed it, trimmed it close and coloured it with watercolours then layered it onto dark purple. I used the same purple cardstock for my card front, added a layer of red tissue paper and then mounted a layer of yellow decorative paper.  I mounted my image using 3D foam tape over the paper, added a strip of red cardstock below it and mounted my layered and sponged greeting over it. The greeting is colour printed, punched out (SU), sponged with a bit of purple ink and then backed with a yellow punchie which as been split in the middle to allow it to show at the top and bottom.
I really like the way the tissue paper gave me a soft red colour between the yellow and the purple. I will be using tissue paper as a layer again!!  It adds dimension and soft colour!!


Pressed botanicals for exchange cards

I needed two cards for my monthly card exchange so went looking for some cool paper to use as a background.   I found this botanical paper I used on these cards and thought that would do very well for spring cards!!  I created the background paper by sandwiching pressed botanicals between two pieces of white tissue paper using Matte Modge Podge.  I love it!!
I cut the background paper to fit a white layer I had trimmed to fit on my purple card fronts.  I used a glue stick to adhere them just in the middle and then used my sewing machine with white thread to stitch them together and incorporated a yellow strip of cardstock while I was at it.  I glued this decorative layer to my card front and added a punched colour printed greeting (SU) overlapping the strip!!
The botanical paper really needs to be backed with white to highlight the colour and detail of the paper.  Only a few more pieces of this paper left but I have scanned it so I can always print off a few sheets but it will not have the same translucency and texture!!


Art Quiltie - a butterfly for April

Just finished my butterfly art quiltie for our April swap!!

I started with a white on white piece of cotton (4" x 4") and added two layers of die cut fabric.  I cut the main butterfly (SX) from some bright fabric backed with heat & bond and the outline from white iron on muslin. The muslin was very bright in contrast to the fabric so I used watercolours (SU) to dye it  - blue, purple and pink.  I used a black sharpie to colour the body.  After removing the release paper from the back of the large butterfly I ironed it to the white fabric and then positioned the lacy wings and the body over it and ironed them into place.  Love how it worked out!! Next I added batting and layered both of them over a larger turquoise square of cotton.  I double folded the edge of the turquoise over the white and stitched it with a running stitch all the way around with white embroidery floss.  I outlined the butterfly with purple floss and added antenna with black floss.  To add texture to the white background I used scattered running stitches in white floss and added a few pearly seed beads as I went.  Finally, I added two turquoise sequins held in place using pearly seed beads.  Love the feel of the textured areas!!