Thursday, February 27, 2014

Snowflake Christmas cards

Another set of Christmas cards from the supplies I unearthed in my craft room from a box that was packed full of "stuff".  These are the first ones I made.
The backgrounds were ready to go.  They were one layer of paper napkin that had been painted with clear acrylic finish (Future Floor Wax) and dried on wax paper while I was cleaning up my studio before we moved.  They are beautifully translucent and I really wanted to show off their colour.  I layered them onto white, added three snowflake punchies (MS) in graduated sizes over the printed one and attached them with a white mini brad.  These colour printed greetings from my stash coordinated perfectly so I trimmed them with my new label framelits (SX) from the set I bought in Maui.  The little framelit is actually shorter than these but I wanted the shape so I trimmed my greetings to fit inside the width (5/8"), lined up the front of the greeting on one end and ran it through the Big Shot only until I could tell that the end had been cut.  I backed it out and removed the greeting.  I flipped it over and lined up the end of the greeting in the framelit and ran it through the Big Shot until I could tell that the end had been cut.  Voila!  A label that looks just like I wanted it to!!  I attached it to the snowflake layer using two white mini brads and adhered the whole element to my soft sky card front.  Another ten of these brings my total to 44 cards.
In one of my groups we were discussing making washi tape and I suggested that you could easily make your own using double sided tape and tissue paper.  I can certainly see using this technique to seal paper napkins before applying double sided tape to make washi tape!!


Doodled Tags

 I created these tags to accompany some pencil cases I have made that will serve as silent auction prizes at our family reunion this summer.  I die cut them using a Trio Tags die (SX) from heavy weight chipboard which was merchandise packaging.  I painted the back side and added my name and blog address in sharpie marker.
 I coloured the fronts using distress ink pads in coordinating colours and then added some doodling with a fine tip sharpie marker.  I ran a large permanent marker all the way around the edges to define the edge and finish off the designs.  Finally, I sprayed them with hair spray to seal the surface.
You can see here that I tied them onto my pencil cases using black cotton thread.
It was fun to create the pencil cases with the gorgeous butterfly fabric I scored at the thrift shop a couple of weeks ago and now they have one of a kind tags as well.  I am happy!!