Sunday, March 15, 2020
I finished another little quilt today. It measures 39" x 51 1/2" and features a variety of flannel rectangles which were precut when I acquired them to about 4" x 5.5". I had quite a few plaid ones so I laid them out first and filled in with the animals ones. I did have to cut a few extra and then stitch together scraps to make up the last few I needed. I had to do some swapping as well to ensure that none of the same fabric touched each other or were too close in the same line. As I was stitching the top together I noticed that there are a few places where I missed ones that were touching or in the same line but that is the way it goes. I offset the lines which met that if the rectangles were not exactly the same size it would not be glaringly obvious. It did mean that I had to add some scraps to every second row to ensure they would be long enough to square off. Once I had the top assembled I washed it as it seemed to me that some had not been washed and I preferred to deal with the shrinkage before it was quilted. I only shrank 1/2" on width and 1" on the length. Not too bad. When I squared it for finishing I had one row that was too short but fortunately one of the scraps which I had cut off was just big enough to fill in the space so I undid a bit of the two seams, stitched on the scrap and redid the two seams. Perfect! I had to trim off less than 1/8"!! I used piece of cotton as the batting and added a plaid backing. Once I had very thoroughly pinned my sandwich, I stitched in the ditch on all the seams between the columns. I used the backing to bind the quilt by trimming it about 1.5" larger than the front and folding it over twice and stitching it to the front. I pressed everything and pinned it very carefully as well. I stitched all the way around and into the corners as well to ensure they stayed nice and neat. Worked out really well!!