Saturday, March 17, 2018

A set of handmade cards with fun background paper

 In an effort to expand my repertoire of card sketches that feature decorative paper backgrounds I decided to see if I could come up with a set of cards using four backgrounds cut from the same sheet of decorative paper.  I trimmed my backgrounds and set about finding coordinating cardstock for my card bases.  With that done it was just a matter of finding sketches that would work.
For my first card, I added a length of green ribbon and layered on a floral focal element which was constructed using diecuts/punchies.  I die cut the petalled flower and manually embossed the petals before adding a green circle punchie and then an embossed pink center.  I added a sponged laser printed punchie greeting to the lower left hand side to finish off my card. 
My second card started with the same background to which I added a dark maroon strip of embossed cardstock near the bottom.  I die cut the word "happy"(SX) in green and mounted it to the left hand side of the maroon strip which left just enough space on the right for my little "birthday" which I fortunately was able to tuck under the maroon strip. 
For my third card I chose to cover the only bright red on my background with my layered focal element which gives this one a bit of a different look.  I layered a green "hole" of a flower punchie over a maroon scalloped circle punchie and then embossed the petals before adding a pink circle punchie in the center to finish off the flower.  I added a light green ribbon across the middle of the background paper before gluing it to my green card front then adhered my focal element over the end of it using 3D foam tape.  The background paper details support the idea of the focal element being a flower. 
For my last card I decided to try a technique that I have seen quite a few times on Splitcoast Stampers  which involves cutting the decorative paper on the center about one third way in on the right hand side.  I measured 2 5/8" up and 1 3/4" from the edge of my 4" x 5.25" background and cut the paper with my exacto knife.  Next, I scored between the end of the line and both corners so I would get a neat fold.  I gently folded the flaps up and used a tiny piece of double sided tape very near the fold to keep the flaps from springing up too much - just enough dimension and texture!!  I added a ribbon across the middle from the end of the cut to the outside edge gluing the ends to the back with double sided tape.  The cardstock in the "v" needed a bit of something so I manually embossed that area with a distressed strips embossing folder.  For my embellishment I die cut a small red petal flower, added a green center and two embossed leaves before adhering it over the end of the cut with 3D foam tape. 
Very happy with my challenge and did manage to find some sketches that worked with my backgrounds.  I like that with these busy backgrounds I feel that the card don't really need greetings.  My favorite is the one with the flaps - a great sketch.  Will be using that one again!!


Card set #4 - washi tape/decorative paper backgrounds with 3D embellishments

For my final set of cards I have these warm and bright washi tapes combined with a very subtle off white and beige scrapbook paper for my backgrounds which I have mounted to off white card fronts. 
For my first card I again went with a bird theme.  I die cut a portion of the bare tree (TH) using a scrap of brown cardstock, trimmed it to fit and adhered it to my card front.  I punched a bird from red cardstock, coloured in the beak and added a tiny black brad for the eye.  I punched the wing from brown cardstock, manually embossed it and adhered it to my bird.  I added the bird to my card using 3D foam tape. 
For my second card I die cut the butterfly from yellow and manually embossed its wings, added a paper butterfly from my stash and layered onto it the brown body/antennae die cut (QK) from a different butterfly die set.  I adhered it to my card front using 3D foam tape and added a dotted flight path using a fine tipped permanent marker.  

For my third card I die cut a large flower using the Tattered Flowers die (TH) from maroon cardstock and added some texture by colour washing the petals with watercolour.  I fussy cut this cute laser printed button, used a black marker on its edges and watercoloured it yellow to coordinate with the background before adhering it to the center of my flower using 3D foam tape.  I hand cut from green scraps a stem and two leaves, glued them to my card front and then adhered my flower over the end of the stem.  To finish off my card I colour washed the stems as well for a bit more texture.  
For my fourth and final card I went back to my heart theme and layered several heart die cuts.  I started with a red heart, layered on one with musical notes and finally added a smaller one cut from gold card and manually embossed.  This heart focal element was added to my card front using 3D foam tape.  
I have so enjoyed making these four sets of cards!!!  I love the collagy look of them and that they are very versatile.  I may consider using this concept again for my card making in the future when I am looking to make cards without greetings.  I still have a small stash of washi tape that needs to be used up and certainly strips of paper would likely have the same effect.  Got some of those as well!!