I acquired a stash of fabric from someone who was downsizing so I have been looking forward to using some of the smaller scraps in my art!! I decided this morning that today was the day and that I would try making some fabric flowers! I dug out a few different ones - satiny white, black, gray and white flowers and a netting with little discs all sewn in a very organic manner. Very cool!! After layering them I thought the sandwich was a bit on the light side for flowers so I dug into my stash and found some white flannelette which helped give the sandwich the weight I was looking for.
Above, you can see above a flower in progress. The hand sewn stitches in red and yellow embroidery thread inside the hand drawn flower shape with all the layers pinned together. I started sewing in the middle, going around in circles to create the center of the flower, then added one long center stitch in each petal and stitches all the way around to be sure that everything was well anchored. The two on the left were cut with the largest flower on the Tattered Flowers die (TH). I accidently cut the stitching in several places when I die cut them because it was difficult to line up on the die. The other three were done free hand. I drew a shape on the white backing, did my hand sewing and then cut around it.
I am happy with my first attempt at hand sewing in many years and have plans to feature these on cards very shortly!! A fitting Thank you for the generous soul who gifted me with some fun fabrics to play with. I am hoping to try some Teesha Moore type fabric journals as well.