Tuesday, January 31, 2017

New handmade cards with reused focal elements

 I was going through a box of card fronts that my sister gave me a few weeks ago and decided to reuse some of the images from them to create focal elements for new cards.
For this first one, I cut out the main element on the card front and trimmed it very close to the small line frame.  I mounted it to a piece of dark blue cardstock and added red vintage seam binding to two opposite corners.  I mounted this element to a light blue card front.  I added a sponged laser printed punchie greeting (SU Word Window) on the upper right  using double sided tape.
For my next card, I trimmed the pink cardstock around the cat image even on three sides leaving a larger section on the bottom.   I added a length of white fiber below the image wrapping it around several times and securing the ends to the middle with double sided tape.  I sponged the edges of an oval greeting punchie  (SU) with green and then layered it onto a green scallop oval (SU) which I punched from some junk mail.  I adhered it below the cat image and over the white fiber using 3D foam tape.  I punched four pieces of white cardstock using the ribbon border punch (SU).  I mounted double sided tape on all four sides on the back of my cat element and adhered the ribbon border to the back of the image leaving about half showing.  I trimmed the ends with scalloped decorative scissors which very closely simulated the scallops on the ribbon border.  Really like how that turned out!!  I mounted this large element to a pink card front.
For this card, I trimmed around the iris image leaving about the same amount of blue border on the top and left, more on the bottom and even more on the right.  I added a trimmed vellum greeting, folded the ends to the back and secured them with regular tape.  I added a scalloped border (SU) in purple on the right hand side and pierced all the scallops with a push pin.  I mounted this element to the front of a white card.  Finding that it still needed a bit of something I rummaged around in my little stash of butterfly punchies and found this little white embossed one which I thought would do very nicely as a 3D embellishment.  I tied a silver cord around the body section, tied a double knot and then trimmed the ends a bit long which created body and antennae for my little butterfly.  I mounted it to my card front using a small piece of double sided adhesive.
I am happy with my new cards with reused elements!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments