Sunday, March 06, 2022

Slow Sunday Stitching with Kathy - buttons on an Adult bib for Extended Care



When I talked to my Mom last week she indicated that there were not enough bibs for everyone at the Extended Care where my Dad is living and was wondering if I could make some.  I decided to go ahead and make one from instructions from online.  I found the tutorial I used at Sew With Aloha.  I made up a pattern using a piece of white heavyweight paper and her instructions.  
I found my new pin cushion quite handy.  I created it to replace the one I had around the body of my machine which was losing pins every time I lowered it into the cabinet.  This one works much better in that regard though today I found that it works very well as a mobile pin cushion.  I simply brought it to my cutting table (kitchen island) and then put it back on my sewing machine when I returned to my sewing room.  



I followed her recommendation to use a smaller plate (small Corelle - 6.75") for the neck opening.   It seems like plenty of room as it expands to a bit more once you have sewn it up. I used a cotton polyester red and black plaid fabric for the front and added a tab (2" x 26"or so) down the front to similate a buttoned up shirt.  I stitched the tab to the center front of the bib after I had traced the pattern onto the fabric and cut it out.  I laid the front onto the good side of the backing, pinned it carefully and stitched all the way around leaving an opening on the side and then cut it out.   I used flannel as the backing which I pieced from scraps set aside from making baby blankets for the grandchildren over the years. I clipped the seam allowances to allow for the proper curvature once the bib was turned inside out.  I pinned the outside edge carefully, ironed it over the pins and then over stitched the edge quite close to the outside edge.  I used gray thread for piecing and had planned on changing the bobbin thread to a coordinating colour but only remembered after I was more than 80% around the perimeter so I left it the way it was.  I would have been better with green thread in the bobbin.  Next time!!  I added velcro to the back flaps but should have staged it before I sewed them into place because I did not realize how much the slope of the shoulders would affect the angle of the two back pieces. It does have some adjustment so I will leave as it is and see if I get any feedback.  I inherited my Mom's button collection when she moved so I was able to find a set of buttons that were a perfect colour for the front tab.  I handstitched them into place with gray thread being careful to hide the stitches as much as I could on the back which worked quite well because of the center seam.  This bib can certainly be used on both sides which makes it more vesatile and had I thought about it I could have put a tab on both pieces and buttons down both sides sewn back to back.  Next time!!  

This little bit of  hand stitching is all that I will get done today!!  It has been a busy week and next week will be much that same with out of the house commitments every day of the week!!   I am linking to Kathy's Slow Sunday Stitching.  Therese



4 comments:

  1. It’s a great idea and pattern! I love how you added the buttons down the front of thr plaid side. I’m sure that will appeal to the gentleman in the Extended Care Facility! Or maybe you made this one, just for your own dad and that will free up the other coverings for the other residents, either way, it’s good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful idea! I love how it looks like a shirt with the buttons down the front which brings a bit more dignity to the wearer. Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great idea. How wonderful that you made these for the people at your father's care facility.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The adult bibs are such an excellent idea, and so stylish. The people in Adult Care will love them. So kind and generous on your behalf to put a smile into these peoples' day.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your comments