Sunday, June 19, 2022

Baby quilt in yellow and blues featuring an embroidered scene by my Mom

A baby quilt (37" x 40.5")!!  I started with the embroidery in the middle which was stitched by my Mom a while back.  It was in the pile of stitching patterns, quilting books and so on at my sister's after we moved Mom to the lodge.  I had to finish the lamb's tail and the left most flower as they were not complete.  I added a yellow border of rectangles in the long format and then a blue border to which I attached the blue border with the rectangles in their short format.  It was good use of scraps and I have much more blue that yellow so that worked out.  I added a wavy decorative stitch to each piece starting with the embroidery, the yellow then the blue one all in white thread.  I had to piece my backing.  I added a striped strip into the dark blue backing to make it wide enough.  I like how it looks.  I used the backing to bind the front where I added two rows of stitching in dark blue.  I will be donating it to the silent auction this summer at our family reunion on behalf of Mom.  We are not sure yet whether she will be making the trip.  Her health is improving and she is managing well after the death of my Dad in mid May.  They had celebrated their 68th wedding anniversary earlier in the day with PPE and masks due to his positive Covid test.  It will be interesting in years to come when children ask about how they were dressed and why.    Therese



 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments