Monday, November 28, 2022

Slow Stitching - embellished leaves for an art quilt cooperative project


I belong to a Grandmothers to Grandmothers  group who is participating in the construction of an art quilt to commemorate the 20th anniversary of the Stephen Lewis Foundation.  I have volunteered to make some leaves for the quilt.  It will depict a women in a tree that represents grandmothers who have provided strength, nurturing and shelter for those in their communities.  
I have cut five leaves from felted wool which my daughter felted a while back and donated to me for projects.  It provided the heft of fabric which I needed to support the embellishing I wanted to add with embroidery thread and beads.   I really like the mottled look of the wool which resembles leaves and I have added beads by incorporating them into the blanket stitch I added all the way around.  I used chain stitch, stab stitch and back stitch to add details inside the leaves along with a few sequins.  A couple days of slow stitching and I love how they all worked out!!!  Therese



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments