Sunday, June 16, 2024

Slow Stitching - sock dryer balls embellished with wool scraps and decorative stitching


After finding a tutorial on how and why we should be making sock dryer balls I decided to make a few out of my collection of socks which needed mending on the toes or heels but otherwise were still in very good shape.  I folded them into bundle of two pairs and then went looking for what else I needed to make the dryer balls a little more decorative than described in the above tutorial.  I found a long needle, some mending wool yarn and some felted wool scraps which would do nicely!!  I stitched both of the openings on the folded sock bundles with the yarn keeping the seam as short and smooth as possible.  Next, I trimmed a few scraps of felted wool that would be big enough to cover the seams.  I pinned them in place and used blanket stitch with the black mending yarn to secure them to my dryer balls.  It was fun to pick colours and trim shapes to make them unique and interesting.  I did finish up my length of yarn by running stitching through the innards of the dryer ball as well to help keep them secure as they bounce their way through a new life.  I keep my current wool dryer balls in the dryer so they are always where I need them.  I have so far not added essential oils to mine but I think that would be a pleasant addition to making doing laundry fun!!  Therese


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments