Friday, June 08, 2012
Pop up Twirl card
You can check out the tutorial on Splitcoast Stampers. It is not really complicated but does require precise cutting to get the mechanics to work. It is really fun because the inside element pops and twirls!! Check out the video at the bottom of the tutorial to see how cool it looks!!
You do need to use sturdy cardstock and the two full layers just like the tutorial indicates because there is a fair amount of torque on the cardstock when the twirling is happening!! Be sure to glue them together well. I used strips of paper instead of buttons on the bamboo stick - just made a paper bead on the stick. Saw this idea somewhere else on the internet and thought it would be a better option for a card that is going to be mailed. My twirling element stuck out of my card so I added two border punched strips which worked out really well but it does
mean I will have to mail it in a larger envelope.
I embossed the whole card front. I have a piece of cutting pad for my Big Shot which is the result of having broken a plate, which I use for embossing only parts of an embossing folder. In this case, I embossed three quarters of the front using the embossing folder and then moved it over aligning the dots so I could emboss the remaining quarter. Had I used a full plate one row of dots would have been squished by the flat edge of the embossing folder. Instead I used my partial cutting plate and placed it on the embossing folder so it did not impact the edge of the embossing folder. Magically, no flattened spots in the middle of my embossed card front. So hang on to the pieces of your next broken cutting plate for using this way. I added an embossed TH Ornmental Label die cut with white seambinding and a simulated bow. I created the sunflower using this template and triangles created by cutting 1 3/4" squares diagonally. I curled the ends with my scissors for a bit of dimension and added a bit of watercolour in the center. The center is a brown scalloped circle (NS) embossed with dots and features a little lady bug I created using a red 1/2" punchie for the body and a black 1/4" black punchie for the head. I added the spots with a black Sharpie marker and added clear dimensional paint for dimension and shine. I hand cut the stem and leaves and watercoloured them a bit after I embossed them.
I am making one more of these to see if I can keep my twirling element inside the card!!