Sunday, March 24, 2024

Slow Stitching - a Christmas stocking with embroidery and a buttonhole stitch all the way around


 One of my grandson's came to me at Christmas time and asked if I could make him a Christmas stocking like his cousin's.  It had to have his name and be gingerbread in colour.  I found some brown felted wool in the stash my daughter sent my way a while back.  There was enough but I had to piece the front by adding a few inches at the top.  I decided to incorporate that joint in my design.  The original design of the stocking was my sister's about 40 years ago when she had made some for DH and I with our names and hand stitched details.  Over the course of the years between us we added three more for our children.  My daughter has kept the tradition alive and made some for her children using felted wool.  I drew the pine branch and ornament with inspiration from online.  It was hard to get any lines to stay on the wool as handling the wool removed the lines.  I eventually resorted to basting the elements I needed in white thread and then doing the embroidery over the thread.  That worked very well and the basting was easily removed afterwards.  I added a dark brown lining to the back and the front and then stitched the tops.  Next, I laid them both with right sides out and pinned the edges really well and did button hole stitch all the way around using a very heavy weight thread in dark brown.  That worked well.  It was several weeks of slow stitching to get it all done.  It was good to get it finished.  It will get dropped off when we visit next and be ready for next Christmas!!  

I will be joining the creatives at Kathy's Quilts for their Slow Sunday Stitching.  Therese

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments