Tuesday, August 18, 2020

A few more upcycled fabric feathers


Curious as to the effect that could be gained from using different fabrics for making feathers I dug through my stash and found several heavy weight fabrics with printed designs to see what the results would be.  I am pleased with my experiment.  I used silver wire on these.  It worked as well as the gold.   Though, I have to recommend that choosing very tightly woven fabric will lengthen the time required to pull the surplus threads.  The green feather was made from such a fabric and took a LONG while to create.  I chose to use gray thread to create the shaft as it was featured in the original design of the fabric but I see that little remains on the feather though having a printed design does give the feathers more texture and interest and will allow a greater breath in the possibilities for cards.  The fabric I used for the pink feather would be appropriate weight for a book bag and worked very well though its loose weave does give the feather less substance.  It was an educational experience and I am encouraged that almost any heavy weight fabric can be used to make feather so have fun making feathers with what you have on hand!!          Therese

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments