Saturday, June 18, 2011

Christmas cards - poinsettia

I have created cards using these rounded squares in the past - here and really like the look of them. I have seen several different ways of using them on Splitcoast stampers as well. One of the version uses a beautiful Basic Gray paper in red, deep orange and dark browns - I loved it!! Unfortunately, I don't have any of it!! So I decided to create some wax crayon background paper that would hopefully come close to recreating the look. I created four different colours to create my "poinsettias" - red & gold, burgundy/maroon and gold, browns and copper and black and grays with silver. They were just what I was looking for to create this design. I cut four 1.5" squares for each card and then decided to add another layer so cut four 1" squares for the upper layer. I corner rounded all the layers and embossed the little ones to give them some texture. I printed my greeting onto my card front and added the flower above it. I mounted the waxy squares to my card front using 3D foam tape in the three outer corners of each petal. The waxy squares need to be handled carefully because the wax will transfer to other surfaces. I did have the thought at class that may be if they were sprayed with some clear finish or sealant that it might be beneficial in preventing the wax from transferring. Will give it a try and let you know. Once the large petals are glued in place, I glued the small embossed ones down using double sided tape. They are offset from the large ones and help create the feeling of a flower. A sequin attached with a brad for the center nicely finishes off the flower!!
I love how these turned out!! I am storing them in their envelopes until they are ready to be sent out to keep them from transferring colour to anything else!!
If you have never tried creating wax crayon backgrounds, I say give it a try. You can check out my instructions here. Or click "wax crayons" under LABELS on the right hand sidebar to find the posting with the information.
So with a few more Christmas cards in my stash I am ready to enjoy my summer. Cardmaking will resume in September when our routines will come back into play!! Enjoy your summer, your holiday time, your days off, your friends and your family!! I will continue to post my creative projects as I get them done!!

Therese


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments